- This event has passed.
50 years is long enough: gender inequality and the fight for equal pay
May 29 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Join The Equality Trust for this interactive conference, bringing together a range of speakers to share their insights and explore how we can get organised to finally win equal pay during this challenging period.
About this event
Women, particularly those in low-paid work and the gig economy, are already some of the hardest hit economically by the COVID-19 crisis. Winning equal pay is more important now than ever before.
Join us on Friday 29th May to mark the 50th anniversary of the Equal Pay Act 1970, the landmark legislation which made equal pay for equal work a legal right for all. This conference will give participants the opportunity to explore the challenges of winning equal pay from a range of perspectives and begin taking action wherever they are.
- Diana Holland – Assistant General Secretary, Unite the Union
- Hilary Wainwright – Editor, Red Pepper
- Dr Jo Grady – General Secretary, University and College Union (UCU)
- Sam Smethers – Chief Executive, Fawcett Society
Alexia Hendrickson – Senior Campaign Manager, Pay Justice
- Dame Moya Greene – Founder, #MeTooPay
- Rachael McIlroy – Senior Research Lead, Royal College of Nursing
Professor Geraldine Healy – Queen Mary University
- Dr Anne Laure Humbert – Director, Centre for Diversity Policy Research and Practice at Oxford Brookes University
- Dr Wanda Wyporska – Executive Director, The Equality Trust
- More speakers to be announced shortly
- Sian Elliott – Women’s Equality Policy Officer, Trades Union Congress (TUC)
- Kym Oliver & Jumoke Abdullahi – Co-Founders, The Triple Cripples
- Tom Schuller – Author, The Paula Principle: Why Women Lose Out at Work
- Imogen Richmond-Bishop – Research, Advocacy, and Communications Manager, Just Fair
- Professor Jane Holgate – University of Leeds
- Victoria Jones – National Officer, FDA
- Paul Day – Director, Pharmacists’ Defence Association (PDA)
- Rachel Hargreaves – Research and Campaigns Officer, ShareAction
- Dr Fenella Porter – Co-Director of Women’s Rights and Gender Justice, Oxfam GB; Co-Founder, RED Learning Cooperative
- Ian Manborde – Equality and Diversity Organiser, Equity
This online conference will take place on Friday 29th May from 10:00 to 13:00, and will feature a mix of plenary speakers and small group breakout discussions.
Once you have completed the sign-up form, you will receive an email confirmation. The day before the event you will receive an email with sign-in details. This is a free, open event and we encourage people from different communities, political backgrounds, and walks of life to attend.
This event will be British Sign Language (BSL) interpreted. Please contact Rianna, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you require an interpreter in your breakout group and to receive additional joining instructions for the event.
Please let us know if you have any other accessibility needs (e.g. for an enlarged PDF agenda/joining instructions). If you have any questions, please contact Rianna at email@example.com.