- This event has passed.
Holding the UK governments to account on everyday human rights
February 23, 2023 @ 1:30 pm - 3:00 pmfree
A free online workshop for civil society groups and individuals across the UK
The workshop will cover :
- The UK’s economic, social, and cultural rights obligations.
- What is happening next in the United Nations’ review of the UK on economic, social, and cultural rights.
- How you can continue to be (or get) involved in this review.
- How this review, and Just Fair could help strengthen your advocacy and campaigning, from a rights-based perspective.
‘Civil society groups’ are wide array of organisations: community groups, non-governmental organisations [NGOs], unions, charitable organizations, faith-based organizations, professional associations, and foundations – so likely you!
- We aim to lead and inspire work to protect economic, social, and cultural rights in the UK.
- We work with civil society groups and individuals across the UK to build skills, knowledge, and confidence to use every day human rights – economic, social and cultural rights – in campaigning and advocacy, making connections between human rights and social justice issues.
- From July 2022-January 2023, we worked with groups and individuals across England and Wales to prepare an independent shadow report (in English and Welsh) on the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR), on behalf of civil society in England and Wales, ahead of the United Nations’ Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (UN CESCR) next review of the UK. The report has now been submitted to the UN CESCR. With 18 months to go until the final review we want to work with groups across the whole of the UK to strengthen their advocacy by using the rights in ICESCR and this important review process. For background on these issues, please read our new Companion Guide.
So that we can make the event as accessible as possible, please let us know as soon as you can (and at least 72 hours before the event) if you have any communication or access needs. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.