- This event has passed.
Women of Color Advancing Peace and Security UK Launch
June 24, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Women of Color Advancing Peace and Security UK (WCAPSUK) Virtual Launch.
In the wake of the ongoing BLM protests across the world, this is a moment of societal reckoning – and our professional field is no different. We hope by providing a platform to build networks, offer support and lift up voices of colour, things will start to change. As such, we are proud to share that the UK Branch of the Women of Color Advancing Peace, Security and Conflict Transformation will host a virtual launch on the 24th of June.
In preparation for the 20th anniversary of the UN Security Council’s Resolution:1325 on the commitment on Women Peace and Security, join this interactive panel discussion with women of colour from across Europe and the US.
The event address key questions about the changing landscape of Women, Peace, Security and Conflict Resolution in the current geopolitical contexts. Panellists will provide expertise from a range of backgrounds across grass roots levels to inter-governmental level.
- Amb. Bonnie Jenkins, Founder and Executive Director, WCAPS
- Anuradha Damale, Director WCAPS UK and RA
- Dr Punam Yadav, Senior Research Fellow and Co-director of the Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction UCL, Centre for Gender and Disaster;
- Dr Warsan Cismaan Saalax, Chair of the British Somali Association and Clinical Psychologist interested in transcultural and community psychology particularly issues affecting the Somali and Arabic speaking communities;
- Hayley Ramsay-Jones, Director of SGI Office for UN Affairs, campaigner for the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons and the Campaign to Stop Killer Robots;
- Linda Goler Blount, President and CEO, Black Women’s Health Initiative (United States).
- Mélina Villeneuve, Advisory Board Member, Women of Color Advancing Peace and Security UK, Co-founder and Research Director of Demilitarise Education
The discussion will be followed by an interactive Q&A session. Participants will have the opportunity to send questions to the panellists prior to the event.