- This event has passed.
Women of Note – August 2021 Afternoon tour
August 7, 2021 @ 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm£5.98
About this event
Women of Note 1.30 pm Saturday, 7 August 2021
Tea, coffee and cake available from 1 pm
Join us on our tour of the cemetery as we commemorate the work and lives of some of Bradford’s doughty women, whose final resting place was Undercliffe Cemetery.
Our researchers will be telling the stories of these women some of whom just didn’t know their place in Victorian Britain.
• A woman who was an English trade unionist and suffragette
• The woman who was serving with an anti-aircraft battery in the Second World War when she died.
• A forward thinking educationist who championed the teaching of science to girls.
• A veteran of Bletchley Park, who worked in the decoding team in the Second World War
• Charlotte Brontë’s nurse, and servant to the Brontë family, who spent her final days in the Bradford Workhouse.
• A Victorian novelist whose story on the perils of drink won second prize in a national competition for books on temperance.
• The woman who pioneered the resurrection of Undercliffe Cemetery, ensuring its preservation for generations to come.